Friday, October 14

Apple Tart


Colin made dinner on Monday, so I made an apple tart! I've been craving apple pie for the past few weeks, so I decided it was time to do something about that.

I was inspired by this recipe (their picture is much more beautiful!), but made an almond flour crust from Nourishing Traditions cookbook so Colin could eat it. The almond crust went really well with it.

For the crust:

1 cup almonds (I used mostly plain, but added a few salted), ground into flour

3/4 cup arrowroot or bulgur flour

3/8 cup butter or coconut oil

1/4 cup rapadura (I used sucanat)

1/4 tsp sea salt

1/2 tsp vanilla extract


For the topping:

5 to 6 apples (I used granny smith and didn't peel them, just cored and sliced thinly)
2 large eggs, beaten with a fork

1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk

1/4 cup sucanat (the recipe called for sugar and honey, but I reduced it to this)

Zest of 1 lime finely grated


Preheat the oven to 375 F.
Mix crust ingredients together and press into buttered and floured pie pan.

In a small bowl, beat the eggs with the sugar, lime zest and coconut milk. Arrange the slices of apple on top of the crust and add the egg batter.Bake the tart for 30 minutes, or until the crust is light brown, and the flan is set. Leave to cool for 30 minutes before eating.

No comments: