Tuesday, May 25

San Diego

We took a Saturday trip to San Diego two weekends ago, starting out the day with something I'd been wanting to try for a while - stuffed french toast. The Korean bakery across the street from us sells this wonderful egg bread that I cut a thick slice of, then put a slit in it and stuffed with ricotta and strawberries. (The recipes I saw call for cream cheese, but I didn't have any.) Then dipped it in an egg and milk mixture and served with just a tiny bit of powdered sugar, maple syrup, almonds, and blackberries.
We enjoyed it outside on our mini patio. Yum!

We are always suckers for a thrift store, especially one with good books. (We are still on the hunt for a set of bar stools, which draws us in.) We have an extensive collection of books in at least two countries, but that doesn't stop Mr. Thorne from hunting for more.

We spent the afternoon at the San Diego Zoo, which my parents tell me I've been to before. My new favorite animal is the otter. Pretty much worth the price of admission to watch those little guys play.

When I was little, my favorite animals were pandas and koala bears. We got to see both!

On the way out, we saw male peacocks courting the females. That was pretty great, too. They not only open their showy feathers, they shake them!

We finished the day by taking a ferry to Coronado Island and having a lovely dinner at the Del.

1 comment:

Elaine said...

otters are my favorite too! The last time I was at the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago I had to be dragged away - its hard to stop watching those silly critters!