Wednesday, July 12

good things

And it seemed beautiful to me. It is an amazing thing to watch people laugh, the way it sort of takes them over. So I wonder what it is and where it comes from, and I wonder what it expends out of your system, so that you have to do it till you're done, like crying in a way, I suppose, except that laughter is much more easily spent.

Theologians talk about a prevenient grace that precedes grace itself and allows us to accept it. I think there must be a prevenient courage that allows us to be brave - that is, to acknowledge that there is more beauty than our eyes can bear, that precious things have been put into our hands and to do nothing to honor them is to do great harm. And therefore, this courage allows us, as the old men said, to make ourselves useful. It allows us to be generous, which is another way of saying the same thing.

(My last quotes, I promise, from Gilead by Marilynne Robinson.)




I've had a few good laughs lately, but could use some more. I have also had a few unexpected heart to heart talks with people. I suppose I could use more of those, too. Summer is good for time to do those things, but I should make sure I don't schedule myself so thick during the school year that those kinds of talks don't happen. I am guilty of that, or at least, of using the time I haven't scheduled to be alone. Of course, being alone is good, too, but community is better. It's one of those precious things that has been put into my hands and I should honor it.

1 comment:

erinlo said...

LELA!!! I'm so excited to have found your blog! You are such an amazing girl. I am loving reading about your adventures in Korea. I would love to hear from you. E-mail me if you can or come and say hi over at my blog.

Love you!!!

BTW- I was just thinking about you the other day because I was craving bagels. Do you remember when you made bagels for me for Christmas? You were always doing sweet things like that.