Friday, February 12

church

Tell the truth, have you ever found God in church? I never did. I just found a bunch of folks hoping for [God] to show. Any God I ever felt in church I brought in with me. And I think all the other folks did too. They come to church to share God, not find God.
- Alice Walker, from her book The Color Purple

The times when I have enjoyed church, or to put in other words, felt like it really mattered that I went, were times when I felt God in me and felt him through the community I worshipped with. Not through the sermon or through the worship necessarily, but just in the being with other people who were there for the same reason. Our churches are often self-focused. We go to get, not to give, but when we go to church as givers and receivers, we have much to gain in community.

No comments: