Saturday, February 13

employed or laid aside...

(The quotes in this post and the last are from an e-mail I get from Sojourners.)

This prayer is one I am desperately needing to pray now as I struggle with finding myself feeling worthless because I don't have a job. Having something to do is not really a problem. So much to read that I'm not reading, language to study that I'm not studying, prayers to pray, people to love, but I still want a job to tell me that I'm worth something. There are so many lessons in this that I have yet to learn. I am trying to be still, to know I'm worthy because I'm a lover of God. I am. It's just hard. So I'm praying this prayer.

I am no longer my own, but yours.
Put me to what you will, rank me with whom you will.
Put me to doing, put me to suffering.
Let me be employed for you or laid aside for you, exalted for you or brought low for you.
Let me be full, let me be empty.
Let me have all things, let me have nothing.
I freely and heartily yield all things to your pleasure and disposal. And now, O glorious and blessed God, you are mine, and I am yours.
So be it.
And the covenant which I have made on earth, let it be ratified in heaven.
Amen.
- Adapted from John Wesley's Covenant Prayer

2 comments:

Tina said...

hi lela,

i was on your fb and then decided to check out your blog hoping to see lots of wedding pics.

this post resonated so deeply with me as i've been struggling so hard in the last couple years with partial employment/unemployment. the prayer was much needed this morning. thanks for sharing. :)

Unknown said...

Yeah, this prayer is very meaningful to me too. I'm glad we can share it. :)