Saturday, September 18

Chiles en Nogada: Success!


The Homesick Texan blog has inspired me since I found it (I think while searching for a good homemade flour tortilla recipe) while living in China. (She has an excellent flour tortilla recipe, by the way.)

I made this recipe Friday night, a few days late for Mexican Independence Day. Colin and I agreed: it was amazing. It required a little more trouble than I generally put into dinner, but I think it's fun to make new things every once in a while.

I used beef instead of pork, didn't add any lard, and topped with a little sliced tomato since our grocery store didn't have pomegranates. It was beautiful, and the sauce, which I thought tasted funny on its own, turned out to be super yummy when paired with the stuffed pepper.

The filling calls for interesting spices and chopped fruit, which is genius. Colin doesn't like raisins, but I chopped them up like the recipe said, and he didn't seem to notice. They just added a bit of yummy sweetness that is really unique.

I won't make this recipe often, but will come back to it occasionally for something special because, really, it is super yummy!

1 comment:

Lisa Fain (Homesick Texan) said...

So happy y'all enjoyed the recipe. Your chiles en nogada looks gorgeous!