Thursday, February 16

gold worthy

I didn't even know that the winter Olympics were this year until about a week ago. I did get to watch part of the opening ceremonies, though, and they were nice. Since I've spent some time in the car this week, I've been listening to some of the news on the radio. I heard an interview with this guy, Joey Cheek, that won the gold in speed skating a few days ago. He donated his 25,000 dollar bonus to an aid organization that helps people in the Darfur region of Sudan. Here's a little article about it. He said something like, honestly, what I do is pretty ridiculous, I skate around the ice in tights, but if I can do something to help the people of Sudan, then it's worth it. He used his time in the spotlight to help some people in Africa. That's inspiring.

No comments: