Friday, February 2

in Bangkok!

I got into Bangkok last night after a 6 something hour flight from Seoul. I followed the very helpful directions to take public transportation as far as I could to the place where I'm staying and then took a taxi the rest of the way. I have to say that the experience of finding my way on public transportation is fulfilling in a way. Of course, part of it is because I am a cheapo in many ways (thanks to my Dad, I think), but part of it is because it feels like I'm more a part of the real life in whatever city I'm in. I took the free shuttle to the bus terminal and found that the bus I was told to take had stopped running for the night, but a nice security man who spoke just enough English told me another bus I could take and then helped me get on with my luggage. I told the ticket lady where I wanted to go. A nice guy got up and gave me his seat so I wouldn't have to squish in the back with my luggage. The ticket lady took my money and then told me where I should get off. Then I took a taxi. Everybody along the way helped me with a smile.

I woke up this morning to birds singing. I opened my window to a beautiful blooming bouganvilla. I'm wearing sandals and short sleeves and I'm off to the market. Yay!

No comments: